Sharing my experiences of living Gluten Free, after being diagnosed with Coeliac Disease in 2000.
Please be aware that anything I write is my personal experience(s).

If you are to visit any of the places I mention, please ensure you check that they are still trading before you visit and it's your responsibility to ensure the food you eat is suitable for you! If you are to follow any of the recipes, please ensure you check your ingredients are suitable for you.

My advice: PLEASE get yourself the latest Coeliac UK Food Directory rather than poisoning yourself!

Friday 23 March 2012

Gluten Free Rock Cakes / Rock Buns

ROCK CAKES
A recipe adapted from my mum's old recipe book!
Similar to scones and are really easy to bake!
Serve warm with butter & maybe a little jam!

Ingredients:
8oz self-raising GF flour
(I also add a teaspoon of GF Baking Powder and GF Xantham Gum)
4oz margarine
3 oz sugar (plus a little extra)
4oz sultanas / mixed fruit / peel
1 egg
A little Milk 
  • Preheat the oven to 200c
  • Grease & dust a baking sheet
  • Sieve the GF flour into a bowl 
  • Lightly rub in the margarine until the mixture looks like breadcrumbs
  • Stir in the sugar & fruit
  • Beat the egg. Add the beaten egg to the dry mix.
  • You want to form a stiff and slightly sticky mix. If needed, add a little milk until the mixture comes together
  • Place into rough heaps on a baking sheet
  • Sprinkle with a little extra sugar
  • Bake for between 15 - 20 minutes until golden brown
  • Remove and cool on a wire rack.

Enjoy cold, or warm them a little and spread on some butter & jam!



Served sliced in half with jam and whipped cream:


4 comments:

  1. 5th October 2014. I have just baked a batch of these rock cakes. Now tried and tested by my husband and I - they are absolutely delicious couldn't stop eating them. Followed the recipe to the letter.

    Mrs H. from Farnham, Surrey

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs H!
      Thanks so much for letting me know. I'm pleased you both enjoyed them!
      Mrs H

      Delete
  2. I melted the butter because I couldn't be bothered to beat it in. I also added some mixed spice, just because I like it. These are absolutely amazing and will definitely be made again! I now have to leave my husband alone in the house with them .... I have counted!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and I'm pleased to hear they turned out well. What a good idea with the mixed spice.
      Haha! Were there any missing when you got back home?! ;-)
      Mrs H

      Delete