Sharing my experiences of living Gluten Free, after being diagnosed with Coeliac Disease in 2000.
Please be aware that anything I write is my personal experience(s).

If you are to visit any of the places I mention, please ensure you check that they are still trading before you visit and it's your responsibility to ensure the food you eat is suitable for you! If you are to follow any of the recipes, please ensure you check your ingredients are suitable for you.

My advice: PLEASE get yourself the latest Coeliac UK Food Directory rather than poisoning yourself!

Tuesday 27 March 2012

Fairground style Gluten Free Doughnuts

This is great for that sweet kick!
I've adapted a Juvela recipe to make the thing I crave the most.....Doughnuts..... like the ones you smell in fairs and by the beach!

Makes around 9
Start to eating: 15-20 minutes

Ingredients;
165g Juvela white mix (or another GF flour)
50g margarine
30g caster sugar
1 medium egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
A little milk

A tasteless oil for frying (sunflower/vegetable oil)
Extra caster sugar for dusting

  • Put the flour in a large bowl
  • Add the margarine, rubbing it in with your fingertips until it resembles breadcrumbs
  • Stir in the caster sugar
  • Stir in the beaten egg and vanilla extract
  • You need to add a little milk, bit by bit, until the mixture comes together - you do not want it to go too sticky (I use between 1tbsp - 3 tbsp - it varies each time and is influenced by the size of the egg)
  • Knead the mix on a floured surface for about 2 minutes
  • Roll into about 1cm thickness and cut into rounds with a plain cutter (about 2-3 inch). Then cut the insides of the circles out with a smaller cutter (about 1-1.5 inch)
  • Re-roll and cut any remaining dough
  • Fry in a medium heated oil (about 3 at a time depending on how big your pan is) for 2-3 minutes. Turn once during cooking
  • Remove from the oil with a skewer (I hook the skewer through the insides of the doughnuts)
  • Put straight into another bowl with caster sugar in and coat both sides
  • Transfer onto kitchen roll to drain
  • Enjoy freshly cooked and still warm.
I crave doughnuts the most, so after I've made a batch, I usually freeze batches of 2 in food bags. When the craving hits, I simply take a bag out of the freezer and put the bag in the microwave for 20-30 seconds on full heat to bring them back to the freshly cooked taste.


No comments:

Post a Comment