Sharing my experiences of living Gluten Free, after being diagnosed with Coeliac Disease in 2000.
Please be aware that anything I write is my personal experience(s).

If you are to visit any of the places I mention, please ensure you check that they are still trading before you visit and it's your responsibility to ensure the food you eat is suitable for you! If you are to follow any of the recipes, please ensure you check your ingredients are suitable for you.

My advice: PLEASE get yourself the latest Coeliac UK Food Directory rather than poisoning yourself!

Wednesday 29 February 2012

Gluten Free in Paris, France

I kind of knew Paris would be a struggle to eat GF, so I went armed with MANY packets of crackers (Glutafin Mini Crackers), crisps, fruit etc, just in case!

The Glutafin crackers did come in very useful for breakfast and lunches whilst Mr H enjoyed his croissants and sandwiches!

I stocked up with accompanying cheese from supermarkets, both stores I found were near Rue Cler, about 8 min walk from the Eiffel Tower:
http://www.leaderprice.fr/
http://www.franprix.fr/

I did dine out at a couple of bistros, but sadly being about -7 outside, I could have really done with a nice warm meal, but played it safe (and showed my translation card) and stuck to salad with (cold) poached salmon on the first night at Cafe  Du March on Rue Cler. Sadly when it arrived it also had cous cous on the plate, so I had to say "sans gluten", showed my translation card again and thankfully the nice lady who'd taken my order, returned and brought me a new one! 
Then steak (yay - hot food!) and salad on the second night at another restaurant.

From this next link, you will find lots of GF places - click on each to find their locations.
I have to say, only being there for a long weekend, we stayed pretty central doing the sights and so I didn't venture out to any listed here. Use a web translation page to copy and paste text in for an English translation. Many establishments do require advance warning of your gluten free requirement!
http://www.sortirsansgluten.com/?page=ville.php&vil=5
Be aware that the "only" purely GF restaurant in Paris, Des Si Et Des Mets has now closed :-(

ALWAYS take a translation card - they are invaluable if you don't speak the language! In French, "Gluten Free" is "Sans Gluten".

http://glutenfreepassport.com/eating-out-tips/translation-cards/
Another great site:
http://www.celiactravel.com/cards/

3 comments:

  1. Hi Mrs H,

    I just wanted to say thanks! Im off to Paris in 3 days and im loving this resource! there are 3 others in my family that are coeliac so i will pass this on to them!
    Thanks again

    Bríd in Ireland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Brid
      Thanks for your note, I am so pleased my blog has helped you. Enjoy Paris (I am jealous)!

      Delete
    2. biosphere cafe is very good for gluten free, lovely food and very friendly

      Delete